Friday, February 25, 2005

Word Warrior?

So I was wondering why people get pierced after reading on the BBC's news site that, apparently, piercees are suffering silence when their body adornments go awry (Read it here.)

Being curious I went a-Googling and and after getting an eyeful of more than enough seriously desecrated erogenous bits I lost interest and clicked an advertisement. Yeah! Really. The irony is too funny ... and uh-oh I just realised that Constant Reader has already conjured up an image of yours truly done up like a dog's dinner with various dangly parts bejewelled with hypo-allergenic rings and dumbells. No! Not that. I stopped with my ears. One each side; and I only had those done because hypo-allergenic clip-on earrings are hard to find and uncomfortable to wear .... Where was I?

The ad I clicked, in a attempt to revive my flagging amusement levels, was for The Classic IQ Test. "Ooh," I thought. "Test. I like tests!" I also like IQ tests because they make me feel good cos I am a complete smart-arse and I had a distinct and (sadly) characteristically cynical hunch that the test would be a cinch. My instincts rarely fail me and I have a shrewd grasp of the advertising industry so combining cynicism with experience led me to conclude that the product, being both free and in need of a self-selecting subject, would be bound to inflate the result.

I was not disappointed. I am, it seems, a "Word Warrior". I was told that:

You are equipped with a verbal arsenal that enables you to understand complex issues and communicate on a particularly high level. These talents make you a Word Warrior.

Whether or not you recognise it, your vocabulary is your strongest suit -- use it whenever you can. Since your command of words is so great, you are also a terrific communicator -- able to articulate big ideas to just about anyone. Your wordsmithing prowess will also help in artistic and creative pursuits. The power of words translates to fresh ideas off paper too. Since you have so many words at your disposal, you are in a unique position to describe things in an original way, as well as see the future in your mind's eye. In short, your strengths allow you to be a visionary -- able to extrapolate and come up with a multitude of fresh ideas.

You think? Aw shucks. I don't know whether to blush or start a tirade on the foolishness of those who believe that advertising is trite or cynical or both. All the same ... the test also identified me as having an IQ of 133 which is moderately above average, I admit, but it is a long way from genius level whatever anyone says. I am a long way below that. My number skills are slow and clunky and anything involving algebraic analysis (eg logic puzzles) leave me floundering in a verbal limbo of my own manufacture .... While the genii are solving the symbolic logic problems I am still lost in an internal committee wrangle over the naming convention for the elements that are to be algorithmically tabulated.

Christ! I am doing it again!

You can check out my result by clicking this link or take the test yourself and share your results via the comments.